One Chance Robbery: One of the Big Horrors of Lagos

by Staff writer



"One Chance" is the advert of a pop type of robbery inwards Lagos, where unsuspecting passengers are robbed inwards commercial buses called Danfo.


One Chance robbers operate inwards gangs.

Usually, the driver of the jitney in addition to some passengers volition live members.

Members pretend to live genuine passengers every bit the buses larn circular looking for victims.

They create non selection to a greater extent than than 1 or ii victims at a time. They assess potential victims from the agency they are dressed. Expensive-looking people are preferred. At times, too, the gang volition live working based of prior information, whereby they caput for specific targets. H5N1 mutual illustration is someone coming from the banking concern afterward having withdrawn some cash.

Once they take away maintain their victims, they drive them to a remote place, where they are threatened with guns, cutlass, charms or other unsafe weap­ons in addition to and thus dispossess them of their money, phones, in addition to other valu­ables.

Sometimes afterward dispossessing the unsuspecting passengers of their valuables, they force them out of the moving vehicle; if they are sort enough, they halt for their victim to alight earlier they zoom off.

***

Two members of a One Chance gang, Ubuke Michael, 26, in addition to Obinna Okoro, 24, arrested a few months agone inwards the Gbagada expanse of Lagos narrated how they had stopped in addition to picked upwards ii passengers going to Alaba International Market in addition to Ladipo Spare Parts Market to purchase goods.

Ubuke, the leader of the gang, said he invited the jitney driver in addition to his conductor to bring together his grouping inwards the One Chance operation.

Ubuke said the jitney driver in addition to his conductor were already familiar with the operation. He claimed he has thus many commercial buses that he tin strength out telephone band for functioning at whatsoever time.

“I telephone band them to bring together me at a detail location," Ubuke said.

“The driver in addition to conductor create their normal work, spell nosotros collect the asset of the passengers.

"Afterwards, nosotros driblet them off in addition to and thus move past times the items nosotros collected to the driver to hold."

When asked how they take away their victims, Ubuke said 1 of the people they robbed had come upwards out of a banking concern earlier boarding their bus, spell the other exactly had bulging pockets.

"We were well-nigh to collect their asset when nosotros were arrested," he said.

“We create non usually send to a greater extent than than ii passengers during operations. Whatever nosotros brand nosotros portion with the driver in addition to the conductor, but our portion is usually to a greater extent than than theirs."

***

One Chance gangs by in addition to large operate during the early on hours inwards the morn­ing in addition to tardily inwards the evening.

However, with the advent of banking concern automated teller machine (ATM), which helps to cut the majority of cash people send on them, the gangs take away maintain devised novel methods of robbing unsuspecting passengers.

They take away maintain realized that some people take away maintain their ATM cards inwards their bags or wallets, so, instead of robbing a rider that falls prey to them in addition to allow him or her to go, they search the passengers, accept their ATM cards, accept them to a detail location and gibe them hostage in addition to and thus need for their ATM carte du jour PIN.

Woe betide such victim if he or she should play smart past times giving a incorrect password -- they may non to come upwards out of the identify alive.

Having disclosed the safety code, 1 of the gang members would rush to the banking concern to empty the victim’s account. They would thereafter blindfold the victim in addition to driblet him or her on the agency in addition to zoom off.

In one peculiarly misfortunate One Chance functioning that happened some Bariga sometime, the victim was dropped off a moving vehicle in addition to he sustained life-threatening injuries.

***
 

As with all aspects of the country, One Chance robbery has also been affected past times the electrical flow economical recession. Tales say how the robbers take away maintain grown more desperate in addition to are becoming deadlier, even with the recent improvements inwards security.

One of half dozen One Chance robbers arrested past times operatives of the Rapid Response Squad, RRS, inwards Lagos, on June 26, described how the economical province of affairs inwards the province has affected their ‘business.’

The man, Adeleke Rasaq, 24, who was arrested with his gang member, Lucky John, 22, inwards the Abule-Egba area of Lagos said they create non brand much coin from One Chance operations directly every bit they used to inwards the past.

The arrested Adeleke, who resigned every bit a manufacturing works life worker to bring together the One Chance robbery gang, said: “We create non brand much coin similar before. The introduce economical status inwards the province has greatly affected One Chance business. We take away maintain non been able to brand much money— everywhere is dry.”

Corroborating Adeleke’s confession, his gang member said: “We take away maintain non made much coin since Mon (the prior week).

"We take away maintain been sharing N20,000, N30,000 in addition to N40,000. This is dissimilar before. When I operate alone, I could brand unopen to N150,000 daily. Now, line of piece of job organisation is thus difficult.”

He said he teamed upwards with Rasaq because pocket-picking was no longer tardily inwards Lagos.

“When you lot move alone, you lot mightiness non brand much. It has non been tardily working independently lately. So nosotros take away maintain to squad upwards to brand to a greater extent than coin to survive.

"Both of us live inwards Badagry. Every day, nosotros come upwards to Abule Egba, Agege, Fagba, Egbeda to operate. As shortly every bit nosotros brand plenty money, nosotros would retire for the day.”

Explaining how he joined the robbery syndicate, Adeleke said:

“I resigned from the companionship I worked for when I noticed that a lot of my friends inwards Ajegunle, who were doing this sort of hustling were living improve than companies’ main executives.

“Every guy does this inwards Ajegunle. We create non come across it every bit a crime: it is called hustling.”

Adeleke also said he has been with the gang for half dozen years earlier he was eventually arrested.

***

Biodun Ahmed, a One Chance robbery victim narrated how he had board­ed a ‘One chance’ bus.


According to him, in that location were well-nigh 8 pas­sengers already inwards the 14-seater bus. To him, he felt the jitney would shortly live full, but the driver didn’t hold off for to a greater extent than passen­gers earlier it took off.

“I wanted to sit down past times the door side, but the conductor told me that it was his seat, thus I had to larn dorsum in addition to sit down betwixt ii ‘passengers’.

“I knew that danger lurked some when instead of the jitney to descend at Anthony to human face upwards Ojuelegba, it accelerated towards Oshodi, in addition to when I wanted to enquire where nosotros were headed, 1 of the gang members whom I idea was my co-passenger, barked at me to unopen upwards or he would unopen it for me.

“They took me to a detail identify that I cannot locate in addition to they searched my pocketbook in addition to took my wal­let in addition to brought out my 3 ATM cards. They also took my phone, in addition to scrolled through the mes­sages to know the alerts for finan­cial transactions that I had made.

"Thereafter, they asked me to write downwards the password of each of the ATM cards. The 1 with gun turned, shook his caput in addition to warned that if I tried to assay that I was a smart guy that my identify unit of measurement would non fifty-fifty come across my corpse.

“I cooperated with them. One of them dashed out to the banking concern in addition to inwards less than an hr he came back. They had emptied my 3 ac­counts inwards different banks.

“They blindfolded me in addition to dropped me betwixt Sanya in addition to Coker on Oshodi-Apapa Express­way. They didn’t render the ATM cards, but gave me my bag.”

According to Ahmed, it was a adept Nigerian who cared to take away heed to his plight that gave him N500, which he used to pay for his fare dorsum home.

When he went to the banks to block his ATM transactions, he realized that the gang had emp­tied all his accounts. One of the accounts, he said, had over N100, 000 inwards it.

***

Ngozi Uchendu, a trader living inwards the Ojo expanse of lagos, described how she had left habitation early on inwards the morning time to board a jitney going to Seme Border, en route Cotonou -- where she buys the second-hand clothes (okirika) she sells.

By the fourth dimension they got to Iya Era on Badagry expressway, instead of continuing with the direct journey, the driver turned in addition to followed Ilogbo road, which leads to Alaba International market.

Somewhere along the Ilogbo road, the driver turned to a destina­tion she said she couldn’t remem­ber, in addition to they started searching them.

Ngozi said since the ATM became the safest agency of mov­ing cash, she had also opened an line of piece of job organisation human relationship with Ecobank in addition to when­ever she goes to Cotonou she would brand withdrawals in that location to pay for her goods.

That day, fate dealt a blow on her every bit the robbers took her ATM carte du jour in addition to threatened to kill her if she didn’t render the right PIN.

"I was scared," she said, "and out of fearfulness I couldn’t shout out upwards my PIN, in addition to 1 of the gang members had already gone out with the carte du jour to the banking concern when I remembered that the PIN wasn’t correct. I had to say them the right lay out in addition to they phoned the boyfriend who was almost at the bank. I didn’t larn free; this error resulted inwards a slap across my human face upwards that almost blinded me.

“When the boyfriend returned, the smiles on his human face upwards showed that he was successful, in addition to they told me to move into the jitney in addition to they dropped me along the Ilogbo road. That was how the N125, 000 I was trading with vanished.

"It was the goodwill I had established with my customers inwards Cotonou that helped me to get-go line of piece of job organisation again, every bit they asked me to send bales of wears on credit.”

***

The sense of a woman mortal jour­nalist working with TVC inwards Lagos, Toyin Ibrahim, also comes fresh to mind.

According to her, she'd boarded a jitney on her agency to move on March 9, at well-nigh 5:30 a.m. with iv other commuters at the Ketu Bridge heading towards the Berger-Ma­godo axis of the Lagos-Ibadan Ex­pressway.

The bandits, who were also on board the vehicle, robbed her in addition to the other commuters of their be­longings, assaulting them inwards the process.

The victim said the robbers at­tacked them barely ii minutes afterward boarding the bus, collecting their phones in addition to cash, adding that they were also taken to an ATM, where their cards were used to withdraw coin nether duress.

“It was a 14-seater bus," Toyin said. "I wanted to sit down at the 2nd spot at the dorsum of the driver’s seat, but the conduc­tor said that was his spot thus I had to larn to the final seat. I in addition to iv other people were victims.

“Two minutes afterward the vehicle took off, 1 of the robbers began to hitting me. He asked for my ATM PIN but I gave him a incorrect number.

“When the vehicle pulled over at a nearby ATM, they tried the num­bers in addition to discovered that the pivot was a imitation one, thus they descended on me, hitting in addition to booting me with their heavy shoes.

“They were stepping in addition to march­ing me rattling hard. They tried to rape me. I would take away maintain died if they had succeeded inwards raping me."


Sumber http://www.dnbstories.com/
Post a Comment (0)
Previous Post Next Post