Short Story: My Last Drink

by Shehu Idris



"How many bottles receive got I had?" I murmured.


"12, I3…15, no! Not 15, it's 13!"

“Just 13!”

I wiped my groggy eyes amongst my palm.

I've come upward hither to accept only a bottle or two, to distract myself from the disturbing thoughts of Tinuke. But the kickoff bottle didn't lastly equally long equally I had hoped.

So, I ordered more.

“Two more!” I had said.

Those 2 didn't lastly either. Every refill of the murky mug was chop-chop followed past times a voracious swig.

Yet the agony that Tinuke had squeezed into me lingered; the agony that I came to the bar to expel.

"Ok! Barman, iv more!" I said calmly, but the await of disdain I got from the guys to a greater extent than or less revealed that I had screamed.

"Who cares?" I muttered nether my breath.

Of the fresh iv bottles, I downed 2 as well as all the same wouldn't larn 'high'.

It felt equally though I had function ‘un-highable’.

Tinuke's scream as well as problem clung firmly to my mind, similar tapeworms inwards gut.

"Oh God!” I sighed, scratching at my head. “Barman! F*cking give me 5 chilled bottles more!"

The man child was deadening as well as I banged the tabular array inwards frustration.

After the seventh bottle, my hear blurred.

All thoughts queued on a thin, fading line. All my thoughts, except that of chilled booze streaming downward my throat.

"Who is Tinuke?" I asked myself now.

I couldn't fifty-fifty wrap my caput to a greater extent than or less the scream again, non to scream remembering the problems she had caused.

My sight became enhanced, blessed amongst extra images.

I saw people, spinning as well as grinning natives of High Island.

The bottles on the tabular array multiplied; the four-legged tabular array grew an extra twosome of legs.

“Thank God!” I murmured to myself.

Goal accomplished, goal reached!

Slowly, later finally managing to locate the opening of my mouth, I kind downward the last content of the remaining bottle.

"Now, I am on top of the world!" My appear upward puckered inwards a drunken grin.

As I staggered off the chair, sending both the tabular array as well as the bottles on it running for their lives, the barman walked upward to me.

"Sir, your nib is #7, 500," he said, avoiding my glazed eyes as well as alcohol-reeking breath.

Instantly, I dipped my paw into my bulky bag as well as brought out a parcel of notes.

The denomination? I create non know!

I couldn’t fifty-fifty recollect the scream of the province I was, allow lone the currency they used there.

I tried flipping through the notes but my hear wouldn't focus. The ugly faces drawn on each banking concern notation did zippo to aid matters.

"Take jor," I said, squeezing the entire parcel of coin into the barman’s outstretched hand.

"Thank you, sir!" he roared.

I wondered why he was showing me his teeth.

I would receive got leaned forwards to commence counting them but he chop-chop unopen dorsum his lips as well as limped away inwards a distorted doubled figure.

I wobbled across to my car. The alcohol has taken total number now.

I at nowadays walked similar a shirt on a laundry line of piece of occupation fluttering inwards the breeze.

I felt extraordinarily superb.

Inside the car, I inserted my primal into the keyhole. I turned the primal several times but the engine wouldn't stir.

"Oh!" I hissed when I discovered I've entirely trapped the primal inwards ane of the openings of the air vent.


Mtcheew!

I pulled out the key, leaned forward as well as started searching for the correct hole. After spending ages trying to accurately club the primal inwards the ignition, it finally kicked.

"Can you lot drive similar this, Lanre?" a phonation asked within my head.

"Shey na today I only dey drinkable ni," I replied the voice.

My eyes were fixed on the passenger’s seat, equally though the query had come upward from there.

Zoom!

I sped off.

In my caput I was competing amongst Nico Roseborg as well as Lewis Hamilton for the F1 Championship, blaring my horn at everything inwards my way. Including the rushing wind.

"Home sweetness home," I idea to myself when I saw a tall construction amongst 2 limpid lights.

The lights seemed to function dimmer as well as brighter at dissimilar intervals.

I farther increased my speed.

A guy is inwards my house, I could tell.

Perhaps it is the same idiot who has been bedding my Tinuke!

"You volition expire today!" I assured him.

My desperation to larn to the lights boiled.

Gladly, they seem to motility closer as well as closer equally I sped on.

The irritating as well as shrill audio of horns got harsher.

I could encounter the guy inwards my theater clearly now. He was waving inwards frenzy from my window.

One lastly long blare of horn as well as then, similar a misty mirror wiped amongst a moisture napkin, my hear jerked dorsum to life.

And it was slow already!

I was heading direct into the appear upward of an oncoming trailer.

It wasn’t my theater that I saw!

The guy from the window is the driver of the trailer.

I stamped on my brakes immediately, but it wouldn't halt the impending collision.

I only receive got most 2 meters of infinite to swerve as well as salve my wasted life.

And shit! It happened!

Clattering of metals as well as crashing of spectacles followed.

There was a loud howl as well as a splatter of red.

***


Drink responsibly. Do non drinkable as well as drive.

***

Shehu Idris is a Mass Communication educatee of the University of Lagos.
 

Writing is his minute nature. Nothing to a greater extent than interesting.

Connect amongst him on Twitter @NA_Idrizeba

Sumber http://www.dnbstories.com/
Post a Comment (0)
Previous Post Next Post